DRBD version 9.2.5, but version 9.2.7 (or higher) is required

Gábor Hernádi gabor.hernadi at linbit.com
Tue Jan 30 16:07:09 CET 2024

Hello!

I have added an new node to cluster today (fresh ubuntu installation. After
> successfully setup I want to share an resource on it (extend linstor_db
> resource with one more node), but when I start it, I get error message
>    Node: 'drbd-05' has DRBD version 9.2.5, but version 9.2.7 (or higher)
> is required

LINSTOR is usually fine with a DRBD version >= 9.0.0. The only feature that
requires the most current version (9.2.7 or 9.1.18) is when you want to mix
storage pools. Most commonly that is achieved by mixing ZFS and LVM storage
pools.
If you want to do that, you will need to upgrade DRBD.

> But in some time from one node the linstor_db resource is removed (I don't
> delete it, controller do it). I try to add to this node again the resource
> but always get identical error.

There is a "BalanceTask" where the controller tries to adjust the
deployed-resource-count to the configured place-count from the
corresponding resource-group.
That means if your resource-group (RG) has a place-count of 2 configured,
and you have deployed your 3rd linstor_db resource, LINSTOR will
automatically (after a while) delete one "unnecessary" resource.
If you do want to have your linstor_db resource 3 (or more) times
replicated, you could create a new RG, move the linstor_db
resource-definition into the new RG and configure the new RG with a
--place-count 3 for example.
I suggest using a new RG, since simply modifying the --place-count of an
existing RG will trigger lots of resource-creations since a lot of
resource-definition will "lack" a resource.

> The problem that I don't known what will be happend if I upgrade drbd
> kernel modul to new version and restart the node (all nodes), Do linstor
> remove other resources from nodes? The problem is that not only the
> resource config is removed, a zfs volume too.

Although LINSTOR will indeed delete the .res files (briefly before they get
regenerated), LINSTOR will however NOT `drbdadm down` the DRBD devices. So
restarting LINSTOR will not affect any running DRBD.

Hope that helps

Best regards,
Gabor