[DRBD-user] diskless on purpose

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Mon Dec 14 15:54:27 CET 2020

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 03:43:18PM +0200, Pierre-Philipp Braun wrote:
> Hello
>
> imagine a three node cluster, with a resource `r1` configured across node1
> and 2.  How to reach the very same resource but diskless on node3?  I
> suppose I should look into NVME-over-TCP or iSCSI but it should be possible
> with DRBD itself, right?  If so, would that be with both v8 and/or v9?

Use v9.

> With v9, I tried adding a `on node3` stanza for that resource, with `disk
> none`, but I get a warning saying that it has no "address" defined.

So did you define an address? :)

> As the
> goal is to reach the resource and not to share it, I don't know what to do.

Not entirely sure how you define "reach" and "share".

But yes, having it "disk none" on the diskless node is the way to go and
should work. For more I'd need to see the resource files, but in general
you are doing it right.

And while it is refreshing to see this 1 in a million person that
actually starts where one should start (at the bottom) and not on the
highest abstraction there is, I'd suggest you could still use LINSTOR,
create the resource on node 1 and 2 and on 3 diskless. And then look at
the resource files LINSTOR generated. That will not spoil you too much
:).

Regards, rck