[DRBD-user] diskless on purpose

Pierre-Philipp Braun pbraun at nethence.com
Tue Dec 15 11:03:31 CET 2020

> So did you define an address? :)

Sorry, I was baffled with the way DRBD node communicate, and mistaken a
listening port with an SCSI target.  It works!  It's pretty cool)

I've tried with Protocol A and I could also mount a resource on node3
indeed.  Hmm but what's the logic behind such a setup?  As the primary
node here is diskless, the data is really unsecured and not written
anywhere, until it reaches the secondary nodes, right?

If I wanted to use that diskless trick, to make the resources available
across the whole cluster farm, I would probably have to use Protocol C
instead, in view not to loose any data in case of a node crash, correct?

BTW I noticed some misleading message on the diskless node while the
initial sync was on-going between the two other nodes.  Not sure it's a
bug, but I mention it for the record.

r1 role:Secondary
   disk:Diskless
   lin1 role:Primary
     peer-disk:UpToDate
   lin2 role:Secondary
     peer-disk:Inconsistent resync-suspended:peer

> create the resource on node 1 and 2 and on 3 diskless. And then look at
> the resource files LINSTOR generated. That will not spoil you too much
> :).

When creating a resource with --drbd-diskless, a totally useless and
empty resource gets created.  So it's much worse than doing it manually.
  I don't understand how to use that linstor option correctly, to begin
with.

Thank you