[DRBD-user] split brain on both nodes

Adam Weremczuk adamw at matrixscience.com
Wed Oct 17 11:35:23 CEST 2018

Hi all,

Yesterday I rebooted both nodes a couple of times (replacing BBU RAID
batteries) and ended up with:

drbd0: Split-Brain detected but unresolved, dropping connection!

on both.

node1: /drbd-overview//
//0:r0/0  StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown /srv/test1 ext4
3.6T 75G 3.4T 3% /

node2: /drbd-overview //
//0:r0/0  StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown/

I understand there is a good chance (but not absolute guarantee) that
node1 holds consistent and up to date data.

Q1:

Is it reasonably possible to mount /dev/drbd0 (/dev/sdb1) on node2 in
read only mode?

I would like to examine the data before discarding and syncing
everything from node1.

/drbdadm disconnect all//
//drbdadm -- --discard-my-data connect all/

Q2:

Will the above completely purge all data on node2 or just drbd metadata?

I.e. will all 75G have to be fully copied block by block or a lot less?

I'm concerned about time and impact on performance when it comes to
terabytes of data.

Regards,
Adam