[DRBD-user] split brain on both nodes

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Oct 17 21:11:42 CEST 2018

On 2018-10-17 5:35 a.m., Adam Weremczuk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday I rebooted both nodes a couple of times (replacing BBU RAID
> batteries) and ended up with:
>
> drbd0: Split-Brain detected but unresolved, dropping connection!

Fencing prevents this.

> on both.
>
> node1: /drbd-overview//
> //0:r0/0  StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown /srv/test1 ext4
> 3.6T 75G 3.4T 3% /
>
> node2: /drbd-overview //
> //0:r0/0  StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown/
>
> I understand there is a good chance (but not absolute guarantee) that
> node1 holds consistent and up to date data.
>
> Q1:
>
> Is it reasonably possible to mount /dev/drbd0 (/dev/sdb1) on node2 in
> read only mode?
>
> I would like to examine the data before discarding and syncing
> everything from node1.

Yes. You can also promote node 2 to examine it as well.

> /drbdadm disconnect all//
> //drbdadm -- --discard-my-data connect all/

Discarding the data will trigger a resync and resolve the split-brain,
but of course, any changes on the discarded node will be lost.

> Q2:
>
> Will the above completely purge all data on node2 or just drbd metadata?
>
> I.e. will all 75G have to be fully copied block by block or a lot less?

It will do a full resync.

> I'm concerned about time and impact on performance when it comes to
> terabytes of data.
>
> Regards,
> Adam

The resync (on 8.4) adapts the resync rate to minimize impact on
applications using the storage. As it slows itself down to "stay out of
the way", the resync time increases of course. You won't have redundancy
until the resync completes.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of