[DRBD-user] New 3-way drbd setup does not seem to take i/o

Remolina, Diego J dijuremo at aerospace.gatech.edu
Tue May 1 18:14:52 CEST 2018

Hi, was wondering if you could guide me as to what could be the issue here. I configured 3 servers with drbdmanage-0.99.16-1 and drbd-9.3.1-1 and related packages.

I created a zfs pool, then use zfs2.Zfs2 plugin and created a resource. All seems fine, up to the point when I want to test the resource and create a file system in it. At that point, if I try to create say an XFS filesystem, things freeze. If I create a ZFS pool on the drbd device, the creation succeeds, but then I cannot write or read from that.

# zfs list
NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
mainpool            11.6T  1.02T    24K  none
mainpool/export_00  11.6T  12.6T  7.25G  -

The plugin configuration:
[GLOBAL]

[Node:ae-fs01]
storage-plugin = drbdmanage.storage.zvol2.Zvol2

[Plugin:Zvol2]
volume-group = mainpool

# drbdmanage list-nodes
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Name    | Pool Size | Pool Free |                                                                  | State |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| ae-fs01 |  13237248 |   1065678 |                                                                  |    ok |
| ae-fs02 |  13237248 |   1065683 |                                                                  |    ok |
| ae-fs03 |  13237248 |   1065672 |                                                                  |    ok |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

# drbdmanage list-volumes
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Name   | Vol ID |      Size | Minor |                                                              | State |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| export |      0 | 10.91 TiB |   106 |                                                              |    ok |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

But trying to make one node primary and creating a file system, either a new zfs pool for data or XFS file system fail.

# drbdadm primary export
# drbdadm status
.drbdctrl role:Secondary
 volume:0 disk:UpToDate
 volume:1 disk:UpToDate
 ae-fs02 role:Primary
   volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
   volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate
 ae-fs03 role:Secondary
   volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
   volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate

export role:Primary
 disk:UpToDate
 ae-fs02 role:Secondary
   peer-disk:UpToDate
 ae-fs03 role:Secondary
   peer-disk:UpToDate

# zpool create export /dev/drbd106
# zfs set compression=lz4 export
# ls /export
ls: reading directory /export: Not a directory

If I destroy the pool and try to format /dev/drbd106 as XFS, it just hangs forever. Any ideas as to what is happening?

Diego