[DRBD-user] New 3-way drbd setup does not seem to take i/o

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Wed May 2 08:30:54 CEST 2018

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 04:14:52PM +0000, Remolina, Diego J wrote:
> Hi, was wondering if you could guide me as to what could be the issue here. I configured 3 servers with drbdmanage-0.99.16-1 and drbd-9.3.1-1 and related packages.
>

> I created a zfs pool, then use zfs2.Zfs2 plugin and created a
> resource. All seems fine, up to the point when I want to test the
> resource and create a file system in it. At that point, if I try to
> create say an XFS filesystem, things freeze. If I create a ZFS pool on
> the drbd device, the creation succeeds, but then I cannot write or
> read from that.
>

> # zfs list
> NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> mainpool            11.6T  1.02T    24K  none
> mainpool/export_00  11.6T  12.6T  7.25G  -
>
> The plugin configuration:
> [GLOBAL]
>
> [Node:ae-fs01]
> storage-plugin = drbdmanage.storage.zvol2.Zvol2
>
> [Plugin:Zvol2]
> volume-group = mainpool
>

> # drbdmanage list-nodes
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Name    | Pool Size | Pool Free |                                                                  | State |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | ae-fs01 |  13237248 |   1065678 |                                                                  |    ok |
> | ae-fs02 |  13237248 |   1065683 |                                                                  |    ok |
> | ae-fs03 |  13237248 |   1065672 |                                                                  |    ok |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>

> # drbdmanage list-volumes
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Name   | Vol ID |      Size | Minor |                                                              | State |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | export |      0 | 10.91 TiB |   106 |                                                              |    ok |
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> But trying to make one node primary and creating a file system, either
> a new zfs pool for data or XFS file system fail.
>

> # drbdadm primary export
> # drbdadm status
> .drbdctrl role:Secondary
>  volume:0 disk:UpToDate
>  volume:1 disk:UpToDate
>  ae-fs02 role:Primary
>    volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
>    volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate
>  ae-fs03 role:Secondary
>    volume:0 peer-disk:UpToDate
>    volume:1 peer-disk:UpToDate
>
> export role:Primary
> [...]

Carving out zvols which are then use by DRBD should work. Putting
another zfs/zpool on top might have it's quirks, especially with
auto-promote. And maybe the failed XFS was then a follow up problem.

So start with somthing easier then:
create a small (like 10M) resource with DM and then try to create the
XFS on on (without the additional zfs steps).

Regards, rck