[DRBD-user] DRBD spontaneously loses connection

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Dec 10 17:08:49 CET 2015

On 10/12/15 09:27 AM, Fabrizio Zelaya wrote:
> Thank you Lars and Adam for your recommendations.
>
> I have ping-timeout set to 5 and it still happened.
>
> Lars with this fencing idea. I have been contemplating this, however I
> am rebuilding servers which are already in place,  All the configuration
> related to cman and drbd  was literally copied and pasted from the old
> servers.

You can hook DRBD into cman's fencing with the rhch_fence fence handler,
which is included with DRBD. This assumes, of course, that you have
cman's fencing configured properly.

> Is this concept of having dual-primary without fencing being a
> mis-configuration something new?

No, but it is often overlooked.

> I ask this because as you would imagine by now, the old servers are
> working with the exact same configuration and have no problems at all.
> And while your idea makes perfect sense it would also make sense to have
> the exact same problem on every version of drbd.

Fencing is like a seatbelt. You can drive for years never needing it,
but when you do, it saves you from hitting the windshield.

Fencing is 100% needed, and all the more so with dual-primary.

--
Digimer
access to education?