[DRBD-user] Backing up MySQL data in DRBD Cluster

David Go dglist at ipayroll.co.nz
Tue Mar 29 23:54:04 CEST 2011

I don't use MYSQL myself, and you would want to double check, but from what I have read, I am pretty sure you could achieve this by creating DRBD on top of  LVM, taking a snapshot of the LVM on the secondary, mounting that and backing up the raw database files.

In this way your data is frozen at a point in time on the secondary so the data should be consistent.

A gotcha I came across when doing something similar (but different database) was that LVM's create a huge write performance penalty, so make sure your disks are fast enough.

Cheers,
David Go

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 23:37:20 +0200, Mateusz Kalisiak wrote
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'd like to setup the standard MySQL-DRBD-HA architecture:
> - PRIMARY server with MySQL and mounted /dev/drbd0,
> - SECONDARY just being standalone and waiting for failover.
> Additionally, during normal cluster activity (primary server is fine and active) I'd like to perform backup of MySQL data, but using only SECONDARY node.
> Did anyone tried such thing?
> Maybe such feature would be available somehow in ACTIVE-ACTIVE architecture (although according to MySQL docs it's not http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/drbd-architecture.html#qandaitem-B-14-3-1-1 )
>
> Regards,
> Mateusz

David Go
for iPayroll Ltd