[DRBD-user] problem setting up a logical volume with drbd

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Tue Jul 19 18:59:41 CEST 2011

On 07/19/2011 12:24 PM, listslut at outofoptions.net wrote:
>     <clusternodes>
>         <clusternode name="thing1.eyemg.com" nodeid="1" votes="1">
>             <fence/>
>         </clusternode>
>         <clusternode name="thing2.eyemg.com" nodeid="2" votes="1">
>             <fence/>
>         </clusternode>
>     </clusternodes>
>     <fencedevices>
>         <fencedevice agent="fence_manual" name="thing1-ilo.eyemg.com"/>
>         <fencedevice agent="fence_manual" name="thing2-ilo.eyemg.com"/>
>     </fencedevices>

Things will not work right without real fencing. Manual fencing is not
supported (See:
https://fedorahosted.org/cluster/wiki/FAQ/Fencing#fence_manual).

Please configure real fencing. It may or may not resolve your problem.
Until it's configured though, it will not be possible to really test
your setup.

See also:
http://wiki.alteeve.com/index.php/Red_Hat_Cluster_Service_2_Tutorial#Concept.3B_Fencing

> [root at thing1 software]#  cman_tool status
> Nodes: 3
> Expected votes: 1
> Total votes: 2

This is odd... You have only two nodes defined.

>> cat /proc/drbd
> root at thing1 software]# cat /proc/drbd
> version: 8.3.11 (api:88/proto:86-96)
> GIT-hash: 0de839cee13a4160eed6037c4bddd066645e23c5 build by
> root at thing1.eyemg.com, 2011-07-15 09:53:15
>  0: cs:Connected ro:Primary/Primary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r-----
>     ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:344 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0

That looks fine.

>> Also, is there anything of interest in the log files of note starting
>> with the cluster coming online?
>
> I do notice that I can't seem to use lvm tools to do much.  I rebooted
> to a clean state and started over.  Since then:
>
> [root at thing2 backup]# pvdisplay
>   Skipping clustered volume group thing0
>   Skipping volume group thing0
> [root at thing2 backup]# lvm pvs
>   Skipping clustered volume group thing0
>   Skipping volume group thing0
> [root at thing2 backup]# vgdisplay
>   Skipping clustered volume group thing0
> [root at thing2 backup]# lvm vgs
>   Skipping clustered volume group thing0
> [root at thing2 backup]# lvdisplay
>   Skipping clustered volume group thing0
>   Skipping volume group thing0
> [root at thing2 backup]# lvm lvs
>   Skipping clustered volume group thing0
>   Skipping volume group thing0

It doesn't look like the clvmd daemon is running.

> I appreciate your help.  I can't even wipe and start over using the
> tools because it skips the clustered volume......
>
> Ken

If the CLVM daemon is not running, then "normal" LVM will not touch
clustered LVs. As an aside, be sure to set 'fallback_to_local_locking'
to 0. You never want a clustered LV to ever use local locking. Though it
seems you may already have done this.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"