[DRBD-user] DRBD Metadata

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon Jul 11 17:04:23 CEST 2011

On 07/11/2011 04:08 PM, Schattenfell wrote:
> The docu is here really confusing, what to do: "Enlarge your lower-level
> device" OR "Shrink your existing file system on your lower-level device".
> Thats just nonesense in my eyes.

The choice is indeed your's, but enlarging an LV is much simpler and
less error prone than shrinking an FS (imho), so seeing as you can do
this here, do it.

The thing is: you want your backing device to entertain both your data
and your metadata. Normally, your FS will fill the whole block device.
That's why you have to make room before creating internal metadata.

The User's Guide doesn't command you to go either way towards this end,
but you will have to perform at least one of those steps.
Again: You should really just enlarge your LV and be done with it.

Of course, if your PV is full already, you cannot enlarge anything, and
have to go with the FS shrinking option instead.

HTH,
Felix