[DRBD-user] DRBD Metadata

Schattenfell post at michael-neubert.de
Mon Jul 11 17:43:30 CEST 2011

Hello Felix,

so that would mean for RAID -> LVM -> DRBD:

If the LVM volume has no FS yet, I can just:

1. assign it as disk for device /dev/drbd0 in DRBD config
2. do a drbdadm create-md drbd_server for creating metadata
3. and make mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd0.

In this scenario no enlarging is required and mkfs will not overwrite
metadata, because DRBD already "shrinks" the created device /dev/drbd0.

If the LVM volume already has an FS, I have to do the following steps:

1. enlarge the LVM volume as needed
2. assign it as disk for for device /dev/drbd0 in DRBD config
3. do a drbdadm create-md drbd_server for creating metadata