[DRBD-user] Documentation request

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Wed Jul 6 21:55:32 CEST 2011

On 07/06/2011 12:38 AM, Mrten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could the documentation please elaborate a bit more on the difference
> between meta-disk and flexible-meta-disk?
>
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/re-drbdconf.html#id1399020
>
> I just got bitten by the (as far as I could find) undocumented
> difference that 'meta-disk' used a fixes 128M meta-disk size which
> limited the size of the array to (in my case) 4TB.
>
> This was noted when booting the array, of course, but only a few hours
> later, after a filesystem was created, a database was installed and more :)
>
> Jul  6 00:13:43 nadir kernel: [   19.746006] block drbd0: ==> truncating
> very big lower level device to currently maximum possible 8587575296
> sectors <==
> Jul  6 00:13:43 nadir kernel: [   19.746009] block drbd0: ==>> using
> internal or flexible meta data may help <<==
>
> (Yes, I'm using external metadata)
>

> It's been documented on the list in 2009 already:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/18149?do=post_view_threaded#18149
>
> but it would be *really nice* if I didn't have to wade through the
> archives of this list to find out about features.

Certainly, and I'll be more than happy to review and merge a patch. The
documentation sources are here:

http://git.linbit.com/?p=drbd-documentation.git;a=summary

And the processing toolchain is here:

https://github.com/fghaas/makedoc

Please take a look at the README in the drbd-documentation checkout for
instructions on how to create and contribute documentation patches. It's
really quite easy, all it takes is the favorite text editor of your
choice. Thanks!

Cheers,
Florian