[DRBD-user] Re: "out of range" error

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Oct 21 11:05:44 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 01:15:41PM -0700, Jeffrey Froman wrote:
> On Friday 17 October 2008 03:54:08 am Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> > simple fix: just DO NOT explicitly set a size.
> > it is only useful in very special cases if at all.
>
> I am under the impression that our case requires (or required) the
> size parameter. We encountered overrun errors when initially syncing
> our nodes, which contained a pre-existing filesystem, with hugely
> different sized disks underneath. Adding the size parameter to
> restrict DRBD to a size slightly smaller than the smaller disk
> cleared up the problem.
>
> Now that both nodes are sync'd, maybe it's safe to remove this
> parameter? Or maybe the overrun problems we had were specific to
> drbd-7.x, which is what we were using at the time. We are currently
> using version 8.2.5.

most likely your "overrun problems" where due to the fact that you had
a pre-existing file system on that disk, and truncated it by overwriting
the last part with drbd meta data.
reducing the drbd size won't even help.

as long as you mkfs /dev/drbd (after both nodes have seen each other for
the first time), all is well.

> If we have to keep the size parameter, it sounds like the only thing
> broken is "drbdadm adjust", which we can work around by performing a
> full restart on each node when it is in the secondary role.

you don't need to keep the size parameter.

--
: Lars Ellenberg