[DRBD-user] Re: "out of range" error

Jeffrey Froman drbd.tcijf at olympus.net
Mon Oct 20 22:15:41 CEST 2008

On Friday 17 October 2008 03:54:08 am Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> simple fix: just DO NOT explicitly set a size.
> it is only useful in very special cases if at all.

I am under the impression that our case requires (or required) the
size parameter. We encountered overrun errors when initially syncing
our nodes, which contained a pre-existing filesystem, with hugely
different sized disks underneath. Adding the size parameter to
restrict DRBD to a size slightly smaller than the smaller disk
cleared up the problem.

Now that both nodes are sync'd, maybe it's safe to remove this
parameter? Or maybe the overrun problems we had were specific to
drbd-7.x, which is what we were using at the time. We are currently
using version 8.2.5.

If we have to keep the size parameter, it sounds like the only thing
broken is "drbdadm adjust", which we can work around by performing a
full restart on each node when it is in the secondary role.

I'd rather remove the size parameter if it's not needed, but I'm not
clear on which special cases might require it, and whether or not our
case qualifies.

Thank you,
Jeffrey