[DRBD-user] 10 GB Network Setup

Corey Brown cbrown at tsp-intl.com
Thu Nov 27 22:31:09 CET 2008

I have two Debian servers located in separate buildings.

They each have  2 x 1 GB NICS that are connected to the local LAN and 2
x 10 GB Fiber connectors that are connected the other server.

I propose to use network bonding on the  2 x 1 GB NIC on each server to
the local LAN and use network bonding of the 2 x 10 GB fiber to the
remote server.

The bonded 10 GB link would be used for heartbeat, drbd replicating and
LAN to LAN traffic. Some heavy loads may occur due to the nightly backups.

Should I bond the 10 GB link and run drbd, heartbeat, LAN to LAN traffic
and nightly backups on the same bonded 10 GB ?

or should I run the drbd and heartbeat separate on their own 10 GB link ?

Thx