[DRBD-user] drbd not syncing when iscsi-target is running ?

Arnold Hendriks a.hendriks at b-lex.nl
Tue Nov 11 12:25:26 CET 2008

Jürgen Scholz wrote:
>> I'm crudely testing whether replication works at all using 'dd':
>> at m1: dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/drbd4 bs=512 count=1 conv=fsync
>> oflag=sync seek=0
>> at m2: less -f /dev/drbd4
> I never used iSCSI, but the protocol probably uses caching in the
> server daemon. Try with bs=1M count=~$RAM_of_machine. This definately
> will make all involved caches overflow and force the iscsi server and
> the i/o kernel layer to write their cache on the disk.
I'm not actually using iSCSI for anything. Hadn't gotten to that step
yet. I intended to use iscsi-target to export the drbd to other
machines, and then seeing if I can multipath the primaries together.

However, just starting iscsi-target without actually using the iscsi
devices or an initiator, is already enough to trigger the problem. So
I'm not sure what I messed up :)