[DRBD-user] NFS Load Balancing with Primary/Primary DRBD

H.D. devnull at deleted.on.request
Sun May 4 12:49:45 CEST 2008

skimber wrote:
> Does this sound like the ideal solution and if so can anyone offer any
> advice on how we go about it?

Be sure to benchmark the performance of that setup. Webservers and
especially PHP are often extremely unhappy to run on a network file
system, dropping in performance by a factor like 10-20.

Lighttpd with stat cache and Roadsend PHP is a setup that is fine on a
network file system. Zend PHP will not perform well, due to stat() and
open() calls for each and every request.

> Alternatively, are there better ways of achieving what we are trying to do,
> or are there alternatives to NFS that can be reliably load-balanced?

GlusterFS. But what are you expecting from load balancing between the
storage node. I cannot image that it buys you any better performance.

--
Best regards,
H.D.