[DRBD-user] Any recommendations or cautions on using RAIDunder DRBD?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Mar 4 15:43:25 CET 2008

Doug Knight wrote:

> Thanks Gordan,
> I re-read my email after your response, and realized high
> availability is another big priority (hence our using
> heartbeat). My thought was that an initial drive failure in
> the RAID array should be handled within the current primary
> system, with DRBD/heartbeat fail-over as the next tier of
> failure recovery. Which brings up another question; how does
> DRBD handle RAID set failures? Obviously, a mirrored drive's
> failure would be transparent, but what about in the case of a
> striped set? Is there a way to determine that a striped set
> has failed and is in rebuild, and trigger DRBD to fail over
> to the secondary system where no rebuild is taking place?
> Maybe a Linux-HA question?

Doug,

Your strategy for tiered availability is a sound one, nobody
wants to fail-over to a secondary node unless it's total storage
failure or a managed rolling update after-hours. The process
of node fail-over isn't completely seamless and there is a
small window where transactions in a DB can be lost.

As far as how DRBD handles a failure in the backing device,
well DRBD works if the backing device is available and if
it isn't, well it stops working, which will cause heartbeat
to fail-over to the secondary node fencing this node.

It is up to you as the administrator to keep all hardware and
software RAID arrays healthy. Use monitoring tools to alert
you when disks fail or are about to fail, have a hot-spare,
use the correct RAID type for the application, etc.

Using RAID10 for logs (and drbd meta-data) and RAID50 for
data should work well for you, if you can't do the RAID50
and keep logs and data together then I would go for the
full RAID10.

I have my DBs on RAID10 over iSCSI, which should have similar
performance characteristics as DRBD over prot C and the
performance is perfectly acceptable for out applications
(general ledger, loan management, sharepoint, data warehousing),
50-100 users, but if you are doing high-volume transactions
(back-end to web application farm) then you may need more
specialized hardware.

-Ross