[DRBD-user] Any recommendations or cautions on using RAID under DRBD?

drbd at bobich.net drbd at bobich.net
Tue Mar 4 15:55:21 CET 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Florian Haas wrote:

>>> Um, not quite.
>>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-handling-disk-errors.html
>>
>> This is about handling disk errors. I was talking about whether the
>> underlying RAID stripe is degraded or optimal.
>
> And would you mind enlightening me how a RAID-0 set (whose use you suggested
> earlier) ever becomes "degraded" -- rather than faulty and issuing an I/O
> error -- when losing a disk?
>
> Last time I checked, RAID-0 wasn't redundant.

Hence why I said that it'd either be there or it wouldn't with nothing
inbetween. There's cross-talk here between using redundant and
non-redundant underlying RAID, as both were discussed. The original
question was whether DRBD or something else handles the fail-over under
conditions of a degraded redundant stripe.

Gordan