[DRBD-user] RE: drbd-user Digest, Vol 47, Issue 40

Tripp Lewis tlewis at Lewisindustriesinc.com
Sun Jun 29 16:14:20 CEST 2008

I just copied and pasted the example drbd.conf from drbd.org website.

>Why did you double-space this?  Fixed.

> global {  usage-count no; }
> common {   protocol C; }

> resource r0 {
>   on area51 {
>     device    /dev/drbd0;
>     disk      /dev/hdc1;
>     address   192.168.1.101:7789;
>     meta-disk internal;
>   }
>   on area52 {
>     device    /dev/drbd0;
>     disk      /dev/hdd1;
>     address   192.168.1.10:7789;
>     meta-disk internal;
>   }
> }

I can ping the 2 interfaces.  I am not trying to make it talk to the other
node yet.  I am just trying to get the drbd0 partition to format on the
first node.  Once I can over come this I will get the two talking.

> root at area51:/usr/src/drbd-8.2.6#  more /proc/drbd
> version: 8.2.6 (api:88/proto:86-88)
>  0: cs:StandAlone st:Primary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown   r---
>     ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 oos:29301596

>This means the device is not connected.  Did you run those drbdadm commands
>on
>both nodes?  Can both nodes ping each other over their 192.168.1.0
>interfaces?

I get the same error when I use mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd0.  I am just an old
linux guy and still have mke2fs on the brain.  I am running slakware v11.0
UDEV is installed but was not running which I corrected now.  I have never
had a reason to run it until now is the why not.

> root at area51:/usr/src/drbd-8.2.6# mke2fs /dev/drbd0
> mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> Could not stat /dev/drbd0 -- No such file or directory

>That's a really old mke2fs.  Which version of which distro are you running?

>Are you running udev?  You should be.  If you're not running udev (why
not?)

>then you need to mknod the appropriate devices.  "mknod /dev/drbd0 b 147 0"

>and then go install udev and run it.

mknod /dev/drbd0 b 147 0 fixed the error message below when compiling a
kernel and when I try to mkfs.ext /dev/drbd0 I am now getting this error
msg which is different.

root at area51:/etc/rc.d# mke2fs /dev/drbd0
mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
mke2fs: Wrong medium type while trying to determine filesystem size

> Anyone have any ideas why I [can't] format the /dev/drbd0 partition?

>The device node doesn't exist, so mke2fs fails.  There are multiple
>possible
>reasons for this; most of them should be addressed in the paragraphs above.

>Please answer the questions in this message and follow up to the list, and
>someone should be able to figure out what's going on here.

Thanks for your help.  I know im close.

T~

End of drbd-user Digest, Vol 47, Issue 40