[DRBD-user] RE: drbd-user Digest, Vol 47, Issue 40

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sun Jun 29 17:26:54 CEST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Tripp Lewis wrote:
> I just copied and pasted the example drbd.conf from drbd.org website.
>> common {   protocol C; }
>>
>> resource r0 {
>>   on area51 {
>>     device    /dev/drbd0;    disk      /dev/hdc1;
>>     address   192.168.1.101:7789;     meta-disk internal;
>>   }
>>   on area52 {
>>     device    /dev/drbd0;     disk      /dev/hdd1;
>>     address   192.168.1.10:7789;     meta-disk internal;
>>   }
>> }
> I can ping the 2 interfaces.  I am not trying to make it talk to the other
> node yet.  I am just trying to get the drbd0 partition to format on the
> first node.  Once I can overcome this I will get the two talking.

The 2 nodes are interdependent, might as well get them connected as early as
possible.

> I am running slakware v11.0.  UDEV is installed but was not running which I
> corrected now.  I have never had a reason to run it until now

Um.  Wow.  The dynamic device addition and removal of udev makes it so that
you really want it if you have any USB or Firewire devices.  It also makes
your /dev much less cluttered in most cases.

> mknod /dev/drbd0 b 147 0 fixed the error message when compiling a kernel,
> and when I try to [mke2fs] /dev/drbd0 I am now getting:

> mke2fs: Wrong medium type while trying to determine filesystem size

I don't think this error message exists in a recent mke2fs.  DRBD isn't *that*
new, but it was much less widely used in 2005.  Upgrade your e2fsprogs to the
latest available version, and try again.  You could strace the mke2fs command
and see which exact syscall is failing, but that may not be insanely useful.

When you're trying to run a very recent build of something (drbd 8.2.6) and
you have a bunch of packages that were last updated 3 years ago, you *will*
have squirrely problems like this.  This is why you keep your packages up to
date.

--
   "Oh bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."
   --MHR on alt.fan.pratchett