[DRBD-user] Newbie installing drbd 8.2.6

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Jun 28 19:10:17 CEST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Tripp Lewis wrote:

Why did you double-space this?  Fixed.

> global {  usage-count no; }
> common {   protocol C; }

> resource r0 {
>   on area51 {
>     device    /dev/drbd0;
>     disk      /dev/hdc1;
>     address   192.168.1.101:7789;
>     meta-disk internal;
>   }
>   on area52 {
>     device    /dev/drbd0;
>     disk      /dev/hdd1;
>     address   192.168.1.10:7789;
>     meta-disk internal;
>   }
> }

> I patched drbd into my kernel. I can create-md r0, I can drbdadm attach
> r0, I can drbdadm connect r0.
>
> root at area51:/usr/src/drbd-8.2.6#  more /proc/drbd
> version: 8.2.6 (api:88/proto:86-88)
>  0: cs:StandAlone st:Primary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown   r---
>     ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 oos:29301596

This means the device is not connected.  Did you run those drbdadm commands on
both nodes?  Can both nodes ping each other over their 192.168.1.0
interfaces?

> root at area51:/usr/src/drbd-8.2.6# mke2fs /dev/drbd0
> mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> Could not stat /dev/drbd0 -- No such file or directory

That's a really old mke2fs.  Which version of which distro are you running?
Are you running udev?  You should be.  If you're not running udev (why not?)
then you need to mknod the appropriate devices.  "mknod /dev/drbd0 b 147 0"
and then go install udev and run it.

> Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
>     Name change: '/dev/drbd0' -> '/tmp/dev.0'
> Warning: '/dev' directory structure is incomplete; device (147, 0) is
> missing.

I think you're doing something that you haven't told us about.  This error
message is really strange.  Provide more details about your setup.

> Anyone have any ideas why I [can't] format the /dev/drbd0 partition?

The device node doesn't exist, so mke2fs fails.  There are multiple possible
reasons for this; most of them should be addressed in the paragraphs above.
Please answer the questions in this message and follow up to the list, and
someone should be able to figure out what's going on here.

--
   You have me mixed up with more creative ways of being stupid.
   --MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish