[DRBD-user] Failure: (114) Lower device is already claimed. This usually means it is mounted. WTF?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Jan 10 13:41:59 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 01:19:19PM +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> After I created a LVM volume on a DRBD device, I rebooted the server.
>
> I'm unable to start DRBD now:
>
> # /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/mapper/san2_crypt1
> /dev/mapper/san2_crypt1 internal --set-defaults --create-device
> Failure: (114) Lower device is already claimed. This usually means it is
> mounted.
>

> The device is certainly not mounted and I've no idea what might be using
> it. Is there a way to check it somehow?

probably your udev and/or lvm autodetection magic
steps in your way.

check your lvm filters, check your multipath filters, if any, check your
udev rules, check the output of "dmsetup table", etc.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :