[DRBD-user] internal metadat versus external

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 16:37:04 CET 2008

Lars, It'd be nice to see this well-documented (setting up the low-level
device with internal meta-data)

Perhaps a step-by-step (command by command) example of how to properly set
one up.

Since so many people get this wrong, what's wrong with putting up a small
example, keep it simple?

Say you have a whole drive you want to dedicate (eg: /dev/sdb1 ) and want to
use internal meta-data.
You want to use as much as possible for the data, and reserve only enough
for the meta-data

What exact commands (for drbd v8) should a person use to set it up?
Something like this (please correct if wrong (using /data as example) --

/etc/init.d/drbd start
mkdir /data
drbdadm create-md all
drbdadm up all
mkfs -t reiserfs /dev/drbd0
mount -t rieserfs /dev/drbd0 /data

Notice, no underlying partition created. Is this correct?

Dan.