[DRBD-user] internal metadat versus external

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Feb 15 13:16:31 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:37:04AM -0500, Dan Gahlinger wrote:
> Lars, It'd be nice to see this well-documented (setting up the low-level device
> with internal meta-data)
>
> Perhaps a step-by-step (command by command) example of how to properly set one
> up.
>
> Since so many people get this wrong, what's wrong with putting up a small
> example, keep it simple?
>
> Say you have a whole drive you want to dedicate (eg: /dev/sdb1 ) and want to
> use internal meta-data.
> You want to use as much as possible for the data, and reserve only enough for
> the meta-data
>
> What exact commands (for drbd v8) should a person use to set it up?
> Something like this (please correct if wrong (using /data as example) --
>
> /etc/init.d/drbd start
> mkdir /data
> drbdadm create-md all
> drbdadm up all
> mkfs -t reiserfs /dev/drbd0
> mount -t rieserfs /dev/drbd0 /data

> Notice, no underlying partition created. Is this correct?

as long as you don't have pre-existing data,
and you do the mkfs on /dev/drbd,
that is all fine, and you just cannot get it wrong.

if there _is_ pre-existing data, or you use some other tools to resize
partitions and file systems, and you use drbd internal meta data, you
have to be careful.

but yes, we'll have to write some "Again, on the commandline ..."
for drbd 8 somewhen.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :