[DRBD-user] internal metadat versus external

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Feb 14 14:32:20 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 07:29:47AM -0800, yoyo64 wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use internal metadata, for my resources

> Is it the best choice for big amount of datas ?

depends on your definition of "best". :)
depends on what your storage subsystem is.

if you have some good raid,
the difference is more administratively.

on good raid, it should not differ
that much performance wise/technically.

> What is the limit ?

depends on a lot of factors, mainly what kernel,
what architecture, and the amount of RAM.

> Why to choice external ?

drbd external meta data makes resizing much easier.

it also avoids any issues with the file system being
smaller than the lower level device, because you have
to leave room for the drbd meta data.
many people got this one wrong.

> How do I do for transfering my devices from internal to external ?

in theory:
  drbdadm dump-md
  # reconfigure
  drbdadm restore-md