[DRBD-user] Re: Upgrade path for drbd?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jun 18 19:09:23 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 06:39:45PM +0200, Jan Kasprzak wrote:
> 	Hello,
>
> What is the recommended procedure for upgrading drbd without the interruption
> of the H-A cluster?
>
> I have a heartbeat-based H-A cluster with some shared state on a drbd volume.
> The system was Fedora 5 with 2.6.18 kernel and drbd-8.0pre4. I have upgraded
> the secondary node to Fedora 7 and compiled drbd-8.0.3 module. However,
> after "drbdadm up all" on the secondary node it complains that the protocol
> version on one side is 82, while on the other side it is 86.
>
> Is it possible to upgrade drbd without stopping both nodes simultaneously
> (i.e. without the outage of the whole H-A cluster)?

yes, provided the "wire protocol version" is compatible.
we promise that we keep it compatible within a stable release
(e.g. 0.7.x or 8.0.y).
we may (and did) break it several times during developement cycles.

you are trying to upgrade from a 12 month old pre-release.
sorry, there have been incompatible changes in the wire protocol.

so no, you have a (short: stopping/umount/unload/replace/load/mount/start) downtime.

downtime should not hurt you, anyways,
since, running a pre-release,
that server cannot possibly be
a production server,
right?
 :->

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :