[DRBD-user] Upgrade path for drbd?

Jan Kasprzak kas at fi.muni.cz
Tue Jun 19 00:18:30 CEST 2007

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
: On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 06:39:45PM +0200, Jan Kasprzak wrote:
: > What is the recommended procedure for upgrading drbd without the interruption
: > of the H-A cluster?
:
: yes, provided the "wire protocol version" is compatible.
: we promise that we keep it compatible within a stable release
: (e.g. 0.7.x or 8.0.y).
: we may (and did) break it several times during developement cycles.
:
: you are trying to upgrade from a 12 month old pre-release.
: sorry, there have been incompatible changes in the wire protocol.
:
: so no, you have a (short: stopping/umount/unload/replace/load/mount/start) downtime.

	OK, understood. A forward compatibility for upgrades would be nice,
though.

: downtime should not hurt you, anyways,
: since, running a pre-release,
: that server cannot possibly be
: a production server,
: right?
:  :->

	A bad joke, really :-(, especially when (if I understand your mail
correctly) the situation is same for 0.7.x -> 8.0.x upgrades as well. So
even a stable->stable upgrade needs downtime.

	Yes, I ran the cluster on 8.0pre for more than a year with several
successful failovers (one cluster node had a faulty mainboard, so there
were failovers from time to time).

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak  <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| GPG: ID 1024/D3498839      Fingerprint 0D99A7FB206605D7 8B35FCDE05B18A5E |