[DRBD-user] CVS replication with drbd?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Dec 18 15:35:27 CET 2007

Tracy R Reed wrote, On 12/18/2007 03:32 AM:

> I have a situation where I have local developers in town with tons of
> bandwidth and remote developers in Argentina with only a T1. I am hoping
> to replicate some data including our CVS repository to Argentina so they
> have a local copy. Sometimes they have to check out 200M of code and it
> takes forever over a T1. If it were constantly synced up and ready when
> they needed it things would be much nicer.
>
> Can DRBD be safely used (over VPN) over the Internet as opposed to just
> between two boxes on the same LAN?
>
> If I want both locations to be able to write to the volume I assume I
> will have to use something like GFS. Anyone have experience running CVS
> on GFS on DRBD over the Internet?
>
> Is this whole idea nuts?

I don't know how GFS would handle working over the link, but you can't do what
you want with DRBD without using GFS or something like it.

There are three things I would suggest you look into in addition to the GFS+DRBD:
1) are they using CVS's built in compression?
2) why are they checking out all 200M of code???
    if they have a sandbox already, just update it.
    if they want to make sure they don't have any junk in the sandbox, tell
them to start keeping 2, the first is _just_ updated periodically and the
second is a copy of the first for when they want to do some work.
3) look into Mirroring your repo using cvs tools:
http://ximbiot.com/cvs/wiki/CVS%20FAQ#Mirror_Repositories
(link is not working right, search down to "Mirror Repositories")
CVSup is probably what you want http://www.cvsup.org/

--
Todd Denniston