[DRBD-user] DRBD doesn't work

Diego Julian Remolina diego.remolina at ibb.gatech.edu
Fri Mar 17 16:41:43 CET 2006

Philipp,

Disabling the whole firewall of your computers may be risky (it all depends). Please consider
modifying the iptables rules to allow drbd connections.  It is actually rather simple. If you use a
dedicated network card connected through a cross-over cable then you can actually allow the full
interface to be opened as I explained in my previous e-mail.

Just determine which interface you use for drbd, then add to iptables
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i ethX -j ACCEPT
where ethX is your interface.

If you are using Fedora or RHEL then the iptables configuration file is: /etc/sysconfig/iptables

If you are using only one interface in each node for both network connections and drbd, then find
out which ports you configured for drbd on /etc/drbd.conf and then adjust according to the other
computer's IP address:

On your primary you will add (assuming the IP of the primary is 10.0.0.1 and secondary 10.0.0.2)
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 10.0.0.2 -m multiport -p tcp --dports 7789,7790 -j ACCEPT

On the secondary you will add
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s 10.0.0.1 -m multiport -p tcp --dports 7789,7790 -j ACCEPT

Then start iptables in both systems and you should be fine.

Diego