[DRBD-user] drbdsetup hangs forever with drbd 0.7.x

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jun 21 15:56:10 CEST 2005

/ 2005-06-21 15:27:24 +0200
\ Jens Viebig:
> >experiment with a small (few GB) device first.
> >large (some TB) devices may be very slow during (initial) setup.
> I re-partitioned my storage
> /dev/sdb1 is around 132 MB
> /dev/sdb2 is around 1 GB
>
> started drbdsetup:
>
> drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdb1 0
>
> i'm waiting for 24 hours now,

no. maximum some minutes for a TeraByte sized device on slow disks...
the longest I personally have seen was still less than two minutes.

> but drbdsetup is still running and cannot be stopped. There is also no indication that there is any access to
> the drives going on. Is there a possibility to make drbdsetup more verbose to see where it stops working ?

you can try and
 ps ax | grep drbdsetup
then do a strace -p <pid> of that drbdsetup process.
it most likely just "hangs" somewhere within the drbd module code.
no, you cannot make it much more verbose.

you can make the drbd module more verbose, but only by recompiling it,
and there is not really an intermediate level, verbose is then more than
you ever want to read. so thats probably not an option, either.

it may be some strange interaction
of your old kernel and your special hardware.

if you don't get it running yourself,
consider to upgrade to a newer kernel (2.6), ...
... or contact office at linbit.com
to buy some support hours :->

cheers,