[DRBD-user] drbdsetup hangs forever with drbd 0.7.x

Jens Viebig jsurf at gmx.de
Tue Jun 21 15:27:24 CEST 2005

>> Hello List,
>> i'm trying to get drbd 0.7 working with SuSE 8.2 and the default 2.4
>> Kernel
>> on an IBM eServer x346.
>> The 'drbd' disk is an external sata raid device connected over scsi
>> cable.
>> When i run drbdsetup
>>
>> drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdb1 0
>> or
>> drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sdb2 internal -1
>>
>> It just hangs forever, i even can't abort it (with ctrl-c) or kill
>>  (kill -9 ) the process.
>>
>> The last message i get from drbd in the log says:
>>
>> Jun 20 11:18:28 suse82 kernel: drbd0: drbdsetup
>> [11288]:drbd_md_sync_page_io(,488033528,READ)
>>
>> I tried a lot of versions form 0.7.0 to 0.7.11 but all show the same
>> behaviour
>>
>> I got drbd runing fine with 0.6.13 on that machine. I like to use 0.7
>> because of its support for XFS filesystem and the process of synching
>> seems
>> to be more 'intelligent' than with 0.6 which does matter because our
>> disks
>> in production will be quite big (around 2 TB)
>>
>> Any idea why drbdsetup with 0.7 hangs ??
>>

> maybe it is just very slow during the initial creation of the bitmap...
> that is not optimized at all, and creates the bitmap and other meta data
> using synchronous sector-sized io...
>
> experiment with a small (few GB) device first.
> large (some TB) devices may be very slow during (initial) setup.

I re-partitioned my storage
/dev/sdb1 is around 132 MB
/dev/sdb2 is around 1 GB

started drbdsetup:

drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdb1 0

i'm waiting for 24 hours now, but drbdsetup is still running and cannot be
stopped. There is also no indication that there is any access to the drives
going on. Is there a possibility to make drbdsetup more verbose to see where
it stops working ?