[DRBD-user] fsck and DRBD

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Thu Feb 17 19:54:36 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 11:04:09AM -0700, Shane Swartz wrote:
> I have a HA setup using heartbeat 1.2.3-1 and DRBD 0.7.10 on Debian
> woody kernel 2.4.28. One of the DRBD file systems is putting the
> following error message in the syslog:
>
> Feb 16 18:42:56 vdras1 kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> Feb 16 18:42:56 vdras1 kernel: 93:00: rw=0, want=1877908, limit=1868988
>
> I know that I need to perform a fsck, but I'm not sure if the fsck should
> be done on the DRBD device (/dev/drbd0) or the physical device (/dev/sda6).
> DRBD (/dev/drbd0) was installed over the top of an existing file system on
> /dev/sda.  The file system type is ext3.

DRBD, with the option internal metadata (default), uses some space on
the end of the device (the exact amount eludes me). You should had
resized the ext3 filesystem before using the device.

> 2 questions:
>
> 1)  Should the fsck be performed on the DRBD device (/dev/drbd0) or the
> physical device (/dev/sda6)?

If it has important data, I would stop drbd, do a full fsck, resize the
filesystem, another fsck, and then add drbd to it.

> 2)  What is the best method to install a DRBD file system?  Is it to
> install the DRBD file system over an existing file system on a physical
> device or to install the DRBD file system on a physical device that does
> not have a file system?

The *easiest* method is to install drbd to a physical device without a
filesystem. The best, depends on what you need. If you don't have the
space to create a drbd device and *then* migrate your data, then the
first option would be the best.

Just don't forget to resize it first.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha