[DRBD-user] fsck and DRBD

Shane Swartz sswartz at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 17 19:04:09 CET 2005

I have a HA setup using heartbeat 1.2.3-1 and DRBD 0.7.10 on Debian
woody kernel 2.4.28. One of the DRBD file systems is putting the
following error message in the syslog:

Feb 16 18:42:56 vdras1 kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Feb 16 18:42:56 vdras1 kernel: 93:00: rw=0, want=1877908, limit=1868988

I know that I need to perform a fsck, but I'm not sure if the fsck should be done on the DRBD device (/dev/drbd0) or the physical device (/dev/sda6).  DRBD (/dev/drbd0) was installed over the top of an existing file system on /dev/sda.  The file system type is ext3.

2 questions:

1)  Should the fsck be performed on the DRBD device (/dev/drbd0) or the physical device (/dev/sda6)?

2)  What is the best method to install a DRBD file system?  Is it to install the DRBD file system over an existing file system on a physical device or to install the DRBD file system on a physical device that does not have a file system?

Shane Swartz
sswartz at ucar.edu