[DRBD-user] Support Question

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Thu Sep 16 10:26:01 CEST 2004

On 2004-09-15T18:48:57,
   Greg Freemyer <freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com> said:

> To do this I would want a Enterprise release that supports:
>
> * Fibre-Channel attached storage (HP's MSA1500 most likely)
> * More than 2 TB of storage
> * Snapshots (for making tape backups)
> * DRBD 0.7.x disk replication to a remote site (i.e. Internet VPN
> connected)
>
> Is the above feasible and is there a current release that supports all
> the above.  My guess is that SLES 9.0 is my best chance.

Hi Greg, let me chime in that indeed all of those features are met by
SLES9. Available with support and maintenance from a Novell reseller
near you! ;-)

(The next update kernel will also bring it to the 0.7.4 drbd release.)

A 64bit platform like the AMD64 or EM64T would also seem a good choice
with these amounts of data.

Depending on the amount of data and the requirements for the
'in-syncness' between the two copies, rsync might also work. drbd will
work of course, but will incur the latency of the link for the writes.
(I'm sure you are aware of this, but I wanted to mention it
nonetheless.)

And, drbd "only" supports ~4TB per device, and at that size will
consume considerable amounts of memory for the bitmaps etc (I think it's
about 128MB of low memory). It will work, but if you want to optimize
this, LINBIT will gladly do the work for you ;-) Some consulting by
LINBIT will certainly also allow you to tune your system optimally...
</advertisement>

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--