[DRBD-user] Support Question

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Thu Sep 16 18:44:55 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 04:26, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2004-09-15T18:48:57,
>    Greg Freemyer <freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com> said:
>
> > To do this I would want a Enterprise release that supports:
> >
> > * Fibre-Channel attached storage (HP's MSA1500 most likely)
> > * More than 2 TB of storage
> > * Snapshots (for making tape backups)
> > * DRBD 0.7.x disk replication to a remote site (i.e. Internet VPN
> > connected)
> >
> > Is the above feasible and is there a current release that supports all
> > the above.  My guess is that SLES 9.0 is my best chance.
>
> Hi Greg, let me chime in that indeed all of those features are met by
> SLES9. Available with support and maintenance from a Novell reseller
> near you! ;-)
>
> (The next update kernel will also bring it to the 0.7.4 drbd release.)
>
> A 64bit platform like the AMD64 or EM64T would also seem a good choice
> with these amounts of data.
>
> Depending on the amount of data and the requirements for the
> 'in-syncness' between the two copies, rsync might also work. drbd will
> work of course, but will incur the latency of the link for the writes.
> (I'm sure you are aware of this, but I wanted to mention it
> nonetheless.)
>
> And, drbd "only" supports ~4TB per device, and at that size will
> consume considerable amounts of memory for the bitmaps etc (I think it's
> about 128MB of low memory). It will work, but if you want to optimize
> this, LINBIT will gladly do the work for you ;-) Some consulting by
> LINBIT will certainly also allow you to tune your system optimally...
> </advertisement>
>

> Sincerely,
>     Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

Thanks Lars,

I was hoping for your response.  rsync is an option I had not
considered, but it is a good one.

One question about the 128MB of low memory.  That is only on 32-bit
platforms, right?

I'm definately leaning towards 64-bit servers.

Greg