[DRBD-user] Question about promoting secondary to primary

hansolox1 hansolox1 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 15:54:26 CEST 2010

I am using drbd on openfiler.  Not using heartbeat or any other ha config.  I
have successfully setup drbd replicating changes from the primary node to
the secondary node.  I can access the primary nodes iscsi lun from esxi and
it is working fine with no errors.  When I look at the volume group for the
secondary node in the openfiler setup, it is telling me there is "No free
space in Volume Group."  However, it is also telling me there are "No
existing volumes were found in this volume group."

I am assuming that the blocks from node 1 are replicating to node 2 but I
can't create an iscsi target to the secondary node.

I have two questions:

If the primary hard drive fails, I reinstall openfiler and drbd on the
primary, setup the drbd volume group on the primary and the iscsi target,
connect to the secondary to get the secondary to copy the blocks back to the
primary, connect from esxi, restart the vms, all is well???

If I can't get the primary machine back on line ever and I promote the
secondary to primary, how do I get openfiler to allow me to create an iscsi
target to the volume?  Will it let me after it has been promoted to primary?