[DRBD-user] Directory inaccessible after node crash

Alexander Sobottka as at http.net
Tue Dec 16 10:22:45 CET 2008

> Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] Directory inaccessible after node crash
>
> From: "Alexander Sobottka" <as at http.net>
> > mxfs2 # ls -la
> > ??????????  ? ?     ?          ?            ? new
>
> Yep, filesystem corruption.  Anytime you see a "?" as the
> first char in
> an ls -l, you've got corruption, and should umount the device and fsck
> it at the first opportunity.

Thanks, it is the first time i see this

> > I think i have do a fsck on the drbd device but how can i do this
> > without total corruption?
>
> > http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2008-July/009682.html
> > but it does not explain how to deal with the virtual IP and the
> > start and stop of the resources.
>
> How are you managing the 2-node cluster?  heartbeat, or something
> else?  If heartbeat, probably the easiest thing to do is to stop
> heartbeat on both nodes.  That'll prevent it from second-guessing
> you when you're doing manual maintenance.  Then do the steps listed
> in the link above.

Yes, it is a 2-node cluster managed by heartbeat.
Can i assume that the corruption also on the secondary node exists? I
guess it is.
And i am right that the best way is to setup the drbd-device new with a
different filesystem like mentioned a few posts later?

> Also, hope you have a recent backup, since reports from the field
> show that reiserfsck can utterly hose all data if the right bad things
> have happened.

I had read this and i will care.

> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
>

>> On Behalf Of Jens Ott - Opteamax
>> Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:17 AM
>> To: drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
>> Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] Directory inaccessible after node crash

>> Hi Alexander,

>> for me this looks more like an reiserfs-problem than an drbd-problem
>> .... at least I know this problem from reiserfs (Reisswolf-FS, as you
>> are german, you understand what I mean ;-) ) and that's why I stopped
>> using reiser...

:) Yes, i understand ... but, i wrote it above, it is the first time i
see this.
Any FS you can advice to use?

>> IMHO drbd in this case is just one more "chance" to get your reiserfs
broken

>> Did you try to reiserfsck already?

Not yet, i am a little bit frightened about dataloss so i ask my
questions here first.

Thanks @all for help

Alexander Sobottka