[DRBD-user] Re: Some questions about drbd

Sven Schuster schuster.sven at gmx.de
Wed Jul 6 18:25:45 CEST 2005

Hi everybody,

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 04:50:06PM +0100, Chris Paulson-Ellis told us:
> Philipp Reisner wrote:
> >But, we will continue to maintain, and develop it, actually
> >drbd-8 is around the corner...
>
> I've asked this before, but are there plans to move the code into the
> mainline kernel? This would increase user confidence & potentially
> increase the developer base, with the possible cost of a reduction in
> the level of your control over the code.
>
> In answer to original question:
>
> I really wouldn't worry about this issue. The code is a critial part of
> the Linux-HA architecture which is so widely adopted that it is likely
> to be picked up by someone else if Philipp/Linbit were to meet an
> unfortunate end (heaven forbid :-).

at first, thanks to everybody who answered my questions and shared his
opinions so far.
The problem is, it's not enough for my boss that it's widely deployed.
He thinks something like "hmm, well, open source, that's all some kind
of hobbyists doing some stuff as long as they like". He wants a big
company standing behind a product. Lars Marowsky-Bree mentioned
that it's integrated in SLES9, that would probably be big enough
for him with Novell behind it. Unfortunately, we use RHEL at work :-/
Maybe time to send an email to Redhat asking if they have any plans
to integrate drbd or to offer some ha-addons with drbd in it :-)
Maybe time to ask some other big companies about their prices for
similar products and tell my boss about those prices compared to
the prices for drbd/linbit support compared to no bit of ha at all
*gg*

Nevertheless, if anyone has some more comments, links to papers, etc.
don't hesitate to let me know :-)

And, again, please don't bash me, _I_ believe in open source!!

regards,

Sven