[DRBD-user] expected behaviour after primary crash and reconnect.

Peter Kruse pk at q-leap.com
Fri Apr 1 16:08:15 CEST 2005

Bernd Schubert wrote:

> This could explain it indeed, networking stops, the master node umounts and
> writes its umount data to the drbd partitions and reboots, while still being
> in drbd-primary configuration.

Aha!  This answers the question if it is an expected behaviour :)

> The failover node will then uses its outdated data to be new primary.
> During the next connection drbd doesn't know which node has the correct data,
> since both data sets have the information of being the primary target.

Even though the failover node is (manually) set to primary before the
other comes up?  I would expect that this takes precedence.

> So, does it work when you manually umount the partitions or write a
> K07_umount_drbd_partitions?

I have to check that, but would expect that this will work because then
drbd can exit cleanly and has the chance to notify the other node.

> (We use hearbeat and have our own scripts there, that really make sure all
> partitions will be unmounted, heartbeat is at K05).

Ok, we have our own scripts, too, or to be more precise, I'm currently
writing them :)  And since a situation like this can happen (you don't
always have the chance to unmount the devices and assume that the
network is up) I will include a "drbdadm connect <device>"
after the "drbdadm primary <device>" in the start script, because the
cluster software knows better than drbd which is primary.

Regards,

	Peter