[DRBD-user] GFS & Co

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Wed Oct 6 10:48:36 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 02:09, Alexander Opitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read the ROADMAP for DRBD 0.8 and I'm interested in helping on
> following paragraph:
>
> + 9 Support shared disk semantics  ( for GFS, OCFS etc... )

We are currently in the process of finishingre/refining the ROADMAP
document, and discussing the algorithms. This discussion takes place
on the drbd-dev mailing list.

> Cause my boss needs this and I want to create a cluster distribution
> (with easy and fast setup) for different Server/Cluster Solutions.

Maybe you should suggest your boss to contact office at linbit.com ?

Probabely LINBIT can offer him a solution to the requested features
within his schedule.

> This Server/Cluster Distribution should have a frontend (like dia) where
> you drag&drop all your servers, give them names and services, connect
> them with lines. The Software should tell you what you need (if more
> pathes possible, the admin should decide) ... after all is done, a CD
> iso image should be generated (with Morphix?) this can be booted, you
> enter name of the station and all will work automagicaly ;)
>
> Strange dream? I think no :) but hard to reach.

Indeed, I hope your boss has the right business plan / funding.

> And first think to start would be the DRBD Support for shared disks.
>
> So, where can I start, how you want it implemented or else information
> would be nice, cause I never wrote on Kernel/Driver base yet ... my
> latest experiences are the Mozilla MNG patch.

* Get used to UML (user mode linux)
* Start kernel hacking
* Start reading the DRBD source.
* Understand the items on the ROADMAP document,
  a lot of them depend on the previous ones.

PS: The ROADMAP document on the web is very outdated by now,
    get the latest version from the trunk in SVN.

-Philipp