[DRBD-user] thin volume looses sparse during replication

Pierre-Philipp Braun pbraun at nethence.com
Sun Oct 24 12:43:26 CEST 2021

Hello

when performing the initial synchronization of an thin-provisioned LVM2
volume from primary to secondary, I can see data gets written on
secondary and the resulting LVM2 volume, although supposedly "thin",
ends up with 100% used data.

To fix that, I need to `blkdiscard` it (even from the primary, that
works too) after synchronization.  And this is an extraordinary painful
step to go through.  Because of that limitation, I cannot create many
drbd resources that would over-commit physically available space at
once: I need to sync/discard the resources step by step...

Is there a way to make the initial replication keep being thin (or
sparse, as in file-system terminology, when dealing with zeroes)?

Thank you!

Best regards,
--
Pierre-Philipp Braun
SMTP Health Campaign: enforce STARTTLS and verify MX certificates