[DRBD-user] drbd with a third node diskless - how ?

Martin mlc42 at gmx.de
Wed Jun 23 20:28:30 CEST 2021

Am 23.06.2021 um 16:57 schrieb Pierre-Philipp Braun:
> On 21/06/2021 23:16, Martin wrote:
>> Because drbd needs a third node for quorum i try to build
>> a proxmox cluster with drbd/linstor with 2 nodes with storage
>> an one diskless.
>
> Hello Martin, my answer may be off-topic but here's some $0.02. An
> alternative would be not to use Linstor at all and rely on the DRBD
> diskless feature instead.  It is possible to build a fully-convergent
> farm that way, without the need of iSCSI nor Linstor.
>
> Just in case you're sharing my doubts and frustration against Linstor
> -- I found my way around it.
>
> HTH

Hello Pierre-Philipp,

i´ve thought about doing that only with drbd like i´ve done some years
before. Linstor may have its  benefits
for complex scenarios, but there are three layers more of complexity.
The chance to missunderstand or make
configurationserrors by my self growth with every layer.  I tried many
hours to get it running  but no success.

At the  moment i do this as a proof if it is possible to build a proxmox
cluster with 2 diskfull nodes, 1 quorum node (diskless)
and replicated storage.  My actual hobbycluster works since years in
similar way.  Proxmox have no solution for this usecase
Ceph needs to much hardware and seems to be very complicate , ZFS is not
usefull because its async.

DRBD would be the best solution, i think. The right tool for this job.

Can you give me a hint how to configure that ? Do you use proxmox ? The
proxmox plugin is only for linstor i think.

Best regards

Martin