[DRBD-user] how to restore lvm snapshot?

Paul O'Rorke paul at tracker-software.com
Tue Jan 28 00:19:50 CET 2020

Hi d tbsky,

I don't know what others do, I just do essentially what you said, but
without stopping the DRBD service.  I simply restore the snapshot to the
primary DRBD block device, not the backing device and let DRBD do it's
magic in the background.

I have done this for a Windows file server as well as a variety of Linux
servers and haven't had an issue yet.

Having said that, I think others recommend stopping DRBD and restoring
to the backing device, then forcing a sync with

drbdadm secondary <resource>
drbdadm connect --discard-my-data <resource>

You will find others on here with a deeper understanding of this.  Take
their advice over mine if in doubt, and test, test, test...

*Paul O'Rorke*
*Tracker Software Products (Canada) Limited *
www.tracker-software.com <http://www.tracker-software.com/>
Tel: +1 (250) 324 1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324 1623

<http://www.tracker-software.com/>