[DRBD-user] PingAck did not arrive in time.

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jun 24 14:17:14 CEST 2019

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 02:33:08PM +0200, Robert Altnoeder wrote:
> On 6/21/19 9:16 AM, Oleksiy Evin wrote:
> > I've tried to update the kernel and DRBD 9 to the last available
> > version, but nothing helped with the PingAck issue. So I had to
> > downgrade to DRBD 8.4 which is started to replicate fine
> > [...]
> > Can anyone help me on the "PingAck did not arrive in time." repeated
> > error while initial bitmap synchronization?
> > [...]
> > I'm using the basic drbd configuration on 527TB LVM volume
>
> This is not generally a version problem, except maybe for the
> performance side effects of various versions. It's probably actually a
> size problem. Bitmap operations on a 527 TB volume take some time to be
> processed, and some operation probably blocks one of the DRBD kernel
> threads long enough to cause DRBD to be too slow to answer a DRBD PING
> request from its peer.
>
> There is an option "ping-timeout" (in the "net" section, the value being
> in tenth of a second) that can be adjusted to change the ping timeout.

And for various reasons, not least of them, performance considerations,
using a single DRBD volume of that size is most likely not what you want.
If you really mean it, it will likely require a number of deviations
from "default" settings to work reasonaly well.

Do you mind sharing with us what you actually want?
What do you mean to use that volume for?

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT | Keeping the Digital World Running

DRBD® and LINBIT® are registered trademarks of LINBIT
__
please don't Cc me, but send to list -- I'm subscribed