[DRBD-user] High Availability (HA) capabilities with Nagios Core (4.4.2) using DRBD application

T.J. Yang tjyang2001 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 02:26:11 CET 2019

I did set up POC for Nagios Core on CentOS 7  using drbd+pagemaker for LAN
and WAN H.A.

for LAN HA, ie, fail-over Nagios monitoring service with-in same Data
Center is doable.
ocf-agent script for pacemaker was written already.
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blob/c36b1e8431e576f3428788b3e645fb53ff75c1fa/heartbeat/nagios

But in the end I did not use it since my Nagios core is in vmware farm as a
VM which use vcenter's HA to provide hardware level fail-over.

for WAN HA(fail-over Nagios service over WAN) , I ran into drbd bandwidth
issue (10ms ping time) which require proprietary drbd-proxy solution but I
didn't pursue further.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 11:48 AM Devin Vance <devin at linbit.com> wrote:

> On 1/15/19 5:16 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 10:49 PM Kaushal Shriyan
> > <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com <mailto:kaushalshriyan at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     I will appreciate if anyone has done hot/cold setups with DRBD for
> >     Nagios
> >     Core(
> https://www.nagios.org/downloads/nagios-core/thanks/?skip=1&product_download=nagioscore-source
> )
> >     as part of high availability feature. For example if the primary
> >     node goes down then the secondary node takes care of the Monitoring
> >     and alert notifications
> >

> It has been a year or so since I've done it, but yes it is doable.
>
> A colleague of mine wrote a guide regarding it. This guide is for the
> licensed "XI" version, but the instructions should still apply to the
> "Core" version. You can find it here: https://downloads.linbit.com/
> (titled HA Nagios XI v5 Cluster on RHEL7)
>
> Personally, I prefer to just run the Nagios system in a VM and make that
> VM managed by a Pacemaker cluster for HA.
>
> Best,
> Devin

T.J. Yang