[DRBD-user] drbd 8.4.7 out-of-sync on disabled host page cache in VM

Armin Schindler acs at sysgo.com
Tue Apr 23 09:05:23 CEST 2019

On 20.04.2019 14:38, acs at sysgo.com wrote:
>> On 13 March 2019 at 11:47 Roland Kammerer <roland.kammerer at linbit.com> wrote:

>>> Okay, thanks. I will test 8.4.11.
>>>
>>> Do I need to change/update the tools as well or just the kernel driver?
>>> I currently use drbd-utils 8.9.10.
>>
>> They should be fine. I don't remember any non-corner cases fixes for 8.4
>> in drbd-utils.
>
> I tried version 8.4.11 and the problem persists.
> When using Qemu/KVM virtio disk with a caching mode that uses host page cache,
> or when using just a filesystem like ext4 on (without Qemu/KVM) on the host, the
> drbd device gets out of sync after a while.

To correct my statement above, the out-of-sync happens when using
KVM/Qemu with a cache mode that is NOT using page cache (like option
"none"). When using option like "writethrough" which uses host page
cache, no out-of-sync happens.
When using the drbd device as mounted-on-host with e.g. ext4,
out-of-sync happens as well.

Armin