[DRBD-user] COnfused about shared partitions

Fri Apr 5 00:33:22 CEST 2019

On 5/4/19 5:09 am, JCA wrote:
> I believe that you are right in your assessment. Unfortunately, after
> this I seem to be stuck in a situation in which both nodes are not
> connected through DRBD:
>
> In A:
>
> # cat /proc/drbd
> version: 8.4.11-1 (api:1/proto:86-101)
> GIT-hash: 66145a308421e9c124ec391a7848ac20203bb03c build by
> mockbuild@, 2018-11-03 01:26:55
>
>  1: cs:WFConnection ro:Primary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown C r-----
>     ns:0 nr:0 dw:4 dr:2161 al:1 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:f oos:336
>
> #  drbdadm status
> my-data role:Primary
>   disk:UpToDate
>   peer connection:Connecting
>
> In B:
>
> # cat /proc/drbd
> version: 8.4.11-1 (api:1/proto:86-101)
> GIT-hash: 66145a308421e9c124ec391a7848ac20203bb03c build by
> mockbuild@, 2018-11-03 01:26:55
>
>  1: cs:WFConnection ro:Secondary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown C r-----
>     ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:f oos:24
>
> # drbdadm status
> my-data role:Secondary
>   disk:UpToDate
>   peer connection:Connecting
>
> I have tried numerous things - including rebooting both VMs where the
> nodes live - to no avail.

Sounds like both sides have been a primary and so now they both think
the other is out of date (ie, split brain). What you will need to do is
tell DRBD which one should discard it's data and become secondary, you
can then reconnect them and DRBD will re-copy the data, re-sync, and get
back into a working state.

This is a good lesson to work out why you ended up with a split brain
situation it sounds like:

1. server A was up while server B was down

2. server A went down, and then server B came up

3. server A then came up without any valid network connection to server B

or, you have a non-standard or incorrect config. DRBD (in my experience)
would notice, catch, and prevent you from getting into this situation.

You should also refer to your log files, they will contain lots of
useful information, as well as details that you should post to the list
so we can see what mess you have created....

Hope it helps..

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au

on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message
in error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the
message from your computer. Viruses - Any loss/damage incurred by receiving
this email is not the sender's responsibility.