[DRBD-user] drbdadm status blocked:lower

VictorSanchez2 victorsanchez2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 14:06:11 CEST 2018

On 10/11/2018 10:59 AM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 11:52:34AM +0000, Garrido, Cristina wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have two drbd devices configured on my cluster. On both nodes the status shows "blocked:lower" although everything seems to be fine. We have conducted IO tests on the physical devices and on the drbd devices with good results. Do you know why this message is shown and how to debug it?
>>
>> The message from status command:
>>
>> xxxx:/dev/mapper # drbdsetup status --verbose --statistics
>> ASCS node-id:1 role:Primary suspended:no
>>      write-ordering:flush
>>    volume:0 minor:0 disk:UpToDate
>>        size:10452636 read:3247 written:8185665 al-writes:53 bm-writes:0 upper-pending:0 lower-pending:0 al-suspended:no blocked:lower
> "blocked:lower" means that the in-kernel API for querying block
> device info congestion reported "congestion" for the backing device.
> Why it did that, and whether that was actually the case, and what
> that actually means is very much dependend on that backing device,
> and how it "felt" at the time of that status output.

Thanks Lars,

Do you know how DRBD asks kernel about congestion information? Which is
the system call it makes?

We want to know why is marking it as "blocked:lower", because we are
making heavy performance test and seems that there is no problem at disk
or network level. We think that DRBD/kernel is not getting the correct
information from the system.

Best regards,

Victor